We academically prepare transformative disability policy leaders and serve as a collaborative “Think Tank” on disability policy for the ASEAN region through an unparalleled network of 19 leading universities and 4 outreach partners, with long-term support from The Nippon Foundation. The IDPP is based at American University in Washington, DC.
The IDPP contributes to the overall vision of an ASEAN region that is inclusive, barrier-free, and rights-based, where persons with disabilities are leaders in the determination of their own destinies.
- Master's Programs: Offer innovative master’s programs at the intersection of disability studies and public policy using advanced accessible cyberlearning techniques
- Continuing Education, Certificate Program, Capacity Building: Offer a certificate program and other capacity development activities in the area of disability and public policy
- Outreach and Awareness Raising: Engage in outreach activities to enhance awareness of, and advocate for, disability and public policy issues
- Collaborative Research "Think Tank": Facilitate collaborative faculty-driven research on comparative and international disability policy issues related to the ASEAN region
The IDPP Fellowships Program offers fellowships funded by The Nippon Foundation to qualified persons from the ASEAN region to pursue a master's degree at the intersection of disability studies and public policy.
The IDPP was established in accordance with ASEAN Vision 2020, which states that ASEAN will:
(1) enhance human resource development in all sectors of the economy through quality education, upgrading of skills and capabilities and training...[and]
(2) [have] all people enjoy equitable access to opportunities for total human development and where the civil society is empowered and gives special attention to the disadvantaged, disabled and marginalized and where social justice and the rule of law reign...
The IDPP was established in full partnership with the ASEAN Secretariat and within the context of The Nippon Foundation—ASEAN Strategic Partnership Agreement, for the purpose of improving the circumstances of persons with disabilities in ASEAN countries.